A biometric attendance machine is an electronic device that is generally used for verifying the identity of a person. The physical characteristics used to identify a person is based on his or her fingerprints, type of voice, the color of the eye, face recognition, and also the length or size of the hand.
Nowadays attendance machine is classified as a fingerprint attendance machine in different offices, industries. A fingerprint attendance machine analyzes different types of fingerprint patterns for matching purposes. It captures the digital image of the fingerprint, which is known as a live scan.
What is the work of an attendance machine?
Attendance is taken by a biometric system that always gives you an accurate record. Different companies, offices, industries having the biometric attendance system can give out accurate records when an employee is clocking in and clocking out.
Biometric attendance can manage a huge no of employee’s attendance data efficiently. It controls the timings of the employees. The fingerprint attendance system uses light to capture the digital image of the fingerprint.
Types of Attendance Machines
- Biometric attendance Machines
- Card Punching Machines
- Bar Code Scanners/Readers
How to check whether the device is working?
- Press the power button to start the computer, and press the F10 key to open the setup.
- Under the configuration, look for a biometric device option, it already exists, so enable it.
- Press the F10 key and save this setting.
Features of an Attendance Machine
There are some basic features of an attendance machine. Such as:
- Clocking in and out: This feature helps to record the clocking in time and also the clocking out time of an employee that is whether he or she is entering the workplace at right time and also whether he or she is leaving before time.
- Leave management: This feature plays a great role that is a missed day should not be recorded as ‘absent’; instead, the employee is alerted for applying for leave or make any other special attendance request.
- Reporting: The feature helps in creating and maintaining the employee’s attendance record as well the number of hours he or she worked, overtime, and also the missed days are available in a report format.
- Missed clock-in alerts: An employee may forget to clock in after a break or may also skip the clock-out, in such cases automatic alert system alerts the manager or the employee requesting immediate action.
- Employee self-service: Self-service attendance management system is a very useful feature where there is no need to clock-in at the doorway or may not need to clock-out instead they can sit at their desks or tables and then log in using an app/browser and make their attendance, also leave requests, correction records can be recorded as well.
How to Use the Biometric Attendance Machines?
- Biometric attendance machines track the time employees arrive and leave work
- The machine scans the employee’s thumb or fingerprint, which allows them to clock in and out of their shift
- Employees’ personal information is stored on a chip inside the machine, so it can’t be accessed without permission
- Biometric attendance machines have been around for decades, but they’re becoming more popular because they provide more accurate data than manual logs do
- A biometric attendance machine will tell you how many hours an employee has worked that day or week
- They also offer a way for employers to get rid of paper records and reduce filing costs
Advantages of Biometric Attendance Machine:
- The automated attendance system ensures accurate time records. Accurate data helps to provide accurate performance and payroll data.
- The attendance management system saves money. It helps to save a lot of money, a survey report says large organizations could save an amount of $1600 per employee when they implement these devices.
- Monitoring and managing attendance manually by the use of paper sheets records may be time-consuming, so the automated attendance system saves a lot of valuable time.
- Most attendance machines are highly secure systems especially biometric systems that are very reliable and secure. There is no headache of losing Id cards and forgotten PINs.
Disadvantages of Biometric Attendance Machine:
- The attendance machine generally takes fingerprints. So, the different employee puts their fingers on the device, and there is a chance of communicable disease spreading to employees.
- Sometimes there is a chance of inaccuracy or fraud activities in the biometric devices. There are many valuable data of different employees that may be stolen by hackers.
- There are two types of errors in attendance machines that is the false acceptance rate (FAR) and the false rejection rate (FRR). FAR happens when the device accepts any unauthorized person and FRR occurs when an authorized person is rejected.
What is Attendance Punching Machine?
Attendance punching machines are a proven way to reduce the amount of time spent on attendance checking. They can also help you save money by reducing the number of employees who work to keep track of their coworkers, and they increase accuracy by eliminating manual errors.
There are many different types of punches available based on your company’s needs:
- Keypad (for one person)
- Magnetic card reader (employee ID badge)
- Bar code scanner (customer check-out line at the store)